Friday, January 1, 2010

Acid and Alkaline Forming Foods

What are they and why is it so important to know?

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Here we are, at the start of a New Year. This sometimes puts a lot of pressure on us. What are my New Year’s resolutions? What should I do better this year than I did last year? What are my goals and plans for this year? Some people sit down and write all these out and I will do that, but haven’t yet. I think it is extremely important to do that so you have direction and focus. Doing so gives me hope and motivation.

One thing I will continue to do and I hope everyone does this also, is to maintain and continue with a higher alkaline diet. Get rid of some of the acid producing foods that you eat. I have worked on this so I don’t eat many acid forming foods anymore. I have learned of the destruction these foods cause within my body. I am continue to preach this to everyone who will listen, but unfortunately they are not always ready to hear it.

The SAD diet – Standard American Diet – contains many highly acid forming foods. Wheat, dairy and meat are the big culprits in this diet. Of course all junk food, packaged food, soft drinks, coffee, alcohol and many grains are acid forming and we should limit or even take completely out of our diet.

If this seems limiting there are still a TON of great alkaline forming foods to eat and that will keep your immune system strong, give you all the vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, protein, amino acids, essential fatty acids, etc. that you need to stay healthy and happy.

There is also so much information in books and on the internet about acid/alkaline balance in our body and how important it is to maintain the balance.

Acid and alkaline foods don’t necessarily translate into acid and alkaline yielding foods. An acid-yielding food is one that crates a lower, or more acidic, pH. Citrus fruits and tomatoes are acidic but they have a net alkaline yield once their constituents get to the kidneys.

After digestion, all foods report to the kidneys and are then either acidic or alkaline. The kidneys are responsible for fluid balance and maintaining a relatively neutral pH in the body.

Acid forming foods include:
Sugar, meat, fish, dairy, wheat and grains, some nuts, processed foods, foods containing preservatives, corn, soy (except for fermented soy products), alcohol, coffee, black tea, soda, sweetened fruit juice, all packaged cereal, oatmeal, artificial sweeteners, chocolate bars, candy, canned veggies, frozen veggies, etc.

We do need some acid in our diet of course because we want to maintain balance. The problem is that many people eat more acid forming foods than alkaline forming foods. You want to get to about 75% - 80% of alkaline forming foods.

Alkaline forming foods:
Green tea, alkaline water, coconut oil, flax seed oil, olive oil, avocado, coconut, figs, lemon, limes, many fruits, tomato, lentils, navy beans, baking soda, almonds, almost all vegetables (in raw form), green leafy vegetables, onion, garlic, ginger, sea vegetables, etc.

The list of alkaline forming foods is very extensive and not enough room to put it here, same with acid forming foods. There are many charts on the internet.

You can try this web site that has a PDF version of an acid, alkaline food list.



Here is another one:

In my next post I will discuss why it is so important to eat more alkaline forming foods than acid forming and how it contributes to your health.

I wish you health and happiness in 2010!

1 comment:

  1. Hi There. While I am not an obstitrician or even a dietrician, being pregnant myself and having had routine tests for things like diabetes during this time, I suspect your ph levels can indeed change during pregnancy. I referenced Dr. Gowri Motha and her book 'Gentle Birth Method' in an earlier blog; in this book Dr. Motha suggests cutting out all gluten and sugar through pregnancy. She does not specifically reference ph levels as the reason, but argues for a number of benefits to not having a 'normal Western diet' if one wants to be healthy during pregnancy and fit for birth. Ultimately, if you do not feel 'right' you might want to check in with your obstitrician to get his/her advice. But in the meantime, I can only say that eating what I post on the blog during my pregnancy has been great and has helped me feel very good throughout this period

    ReplyDelete